Step 1 - Preheat oven to 325 degrees with a rack set in the lower third of
oven. Combine sliced potatoes and milk in a large saucepan over high heat.
Bring to a boil, and immediately reduce heat to low; cover and simmer
until potatoes are just tender, about 3 minutes.
- 3 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled, and sliced paper thin
- 3 cups Farmland Fresh Dairies whole milk
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- Coarse salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup Farmland Fresh Dairies heavy cream
- 5 ounces Gruyere cheese, grated
Step 2 - Place a colander over a large bowl and drain potatoes, reserving milk.
You should have 2 cups of thick, starchy milk. If potatoes have absorbed more
than 1 cup of milk, add enough milk to bring the reserved milk volume to 2 cups.
Step 3 - Rub a 3 1/2 quart oval baking dish with garlic and butter. Arrange sliced
potatoes in the baking dish; season with salt and pepper. Dot with remaining butter
and pour over reserved cooking milk and cream. Sprinkle cheese over top.
Step 4 - Transfer baking dish to oven and bake until cheese becomes deep golden
brown and milk has reduced and thickened, 80 to 90 minutes. Remove from oven
and serve immediately.
Total time - 2 hours
Yield - 12 to 15 servings